Wednesday, May 25, 2005

Books Some Guy Says We Should Read

I was given this book as a gift for Christmas. It covers a variety of subjects from Mathematics to Science to History to Music. It even goes over the widely untaught-in-American-schools subject of Geography. There are, of course, sections for English and the Classics. I flipped through it, wondering if I had really got everything out of high school and/or college that I should have.
According to this book, here's the list of 100 must-read novels (in alphabetical order by title, although the first is extremely relevant today):
  1. Orwell's 1984
  2. Faulkner's Absalom, Absalom!
  3. Bellow's The Adventures of Augie March
  4. Twain's The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn
  5. Wharton's Age of Innocence
  6. Durrell's The Alexandria Quartet
  7. Warren's All the King's Men
  8. James' The Ambassadors
  9. Dreiser's An American Tragedy
  10. Stegner's Angle of Repose
  11. Tolstoy's Anna Karenina
  12. O'Hara's Appointment in Samarra
  13. Faulkner's As I Lay Dying
  14. Naipaul's A Bend in the River
  15. Huxley's A Brave New World
  16. Wilder's The Bridge of San Luis Rey
  17. Dostoyevsky's The Brothers Karamazov
  18. London's Call of the Wild
  19. Heller's Catch-22
  20. Salinger's The Catcher in the Rye
  21. Burgess' A Clockwork Orange
  22. Koestler's Darkness at Noon
  23. West's The Day of the Locust
  24. Cather's Death Comes for the Archbishop
  25. Bowen's The Death of the Heart
  26. Dickey's Deliverance
  27. de Cervantes' Don Quixote
  28. Hemingway's A Farewell to Arms
  29. Jones' From Here to Eternity
  30. Baldwin's Go Tell It on the Mountain
  31. James' The Golden Bowl
  32. Ford's The Good Soldier
  33. Steinbeck's The Grapes of Wrath
  34. Fitzgerald's The Great Gatsby
  35. Waugh's A Handful of Dust
  36. McCullers The Heart is a Lonely Hunter
  37. Conrad's Heart of Darkness
  38. Greene's The Heart of the Manner
  39. Bellow's Henderson the Rain King
  40. Hughes' A High Wind in Jamaica
  41. Naipaul's A House for Mr. Biswas
  42. Wharton's The House of Mirth
  43. Forster's Howard's End
  44. Ellison's Invisible Man
  45. Kennedy's Ironweed
  46. Bronte's Jane Eyre
  47. Kipling's Kim
  48. Faulkner's Light in August
  49. Conrad's Lord Jim
  50. Golding's Lord of the Flies
  51. Green's Loving
  52. Fowles' The Magus
  53. Lewis' Main Street
  54. Hammet's The Maltese Falcon
  55. Rushdie's Midnight's Children
  56. Percy's The Moviegoer
  57. Mailer's The Naked and the Dead
  58. Wright's Native Son
  59. Conrad's Nostromo
  60. Maugham's Of Human Bondage
  61. Bennett's The Old Wives' Tale
  62. Kerouac's On the Road
  63. Kesey's One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest
  64. Nabokov's Pale Fire
  65. Ford's Parade's End
  66. Forster's A Passage to India
  67. Wilde's The Picture of Dorian Gray
  68. Huxley's Point Counter Point
  69. Joyce's A Portrait of the Artist as a Young Man
  70. Irving's A Prayer for Owen Meany
  71. Austen's Pride and Prejudice
  72. Spark's The Prime of Miss Jean Brodie
  73. Fleming's Octopussy
  74. Doctorow's Ragtime
  75. Lawrence's The Rainbow
  76. Forster's A Room with a View
  77. Waugh's Scoop
  78. Conrad's The Secret Agent
  79. Bowles' The Sheltering Sky
  80. Dreiser's Sister Carrie
  81. Vonnegut's Slaughterhouse-Five
  82. Lawrence's Sons and Lovers
  83. Faulkner's The Sound and the Fury
  84. Camus' The Stranger
  85. Farrell's Studs Lonigan: A Trilogy
  86. Hemingway's The Sun Also Rises
  87. Fitzgerald's Tender is the Night
  88. Achebe's Things Fall Apart
  89. Grass' The Tin Drum
  90. Lee's To Kill a Mockingbird
  91. Woolf's To the Lighthouse
  92. Caldwell's Tobacco Road
  93. Miller's Tropic of Cancer
  94. Joyce's Ulysses
  95. Murdoch's Under the Net
  96. Lowry's Under the Volcano
  97. Cheever's The Wapshot Chronicle
  98. Butler's The Way of All Flesh
  99. James' The Wings of the Dove
  100. Lawrence's Women in Love
  101. Bronte's Wuthering Heights (#73 was a joke)

As if I didn't already think of myself as a bad literature major in college. I've only read 17% of this list. After scanning the list, I've convinced myself that the list was commissioned by Penguin's Classics and that the list's author has a hard-on for Faulkner and Conrad. But don't worry everyone, I'm sure John Grisham and The Da Vinci Code will make the list in five years, tops.

3 Comments:

Blogger Jess said...

After reading this list, it makes me wonder why I took the Humanities sequence. 15 books per semester incorporated with period art spanning centuries, and I have only read a handful of these gems. I think there's some sort of conspiracy going down...

26/5/05 07:23  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

isn't it all subjective anyway? Who decides which are the "best" books, anyway? I've read something like 25% (and my undergraduate major was Social Thought and Political Economy) but there are still novels here that I haven't heard of. I agree, it seems like a conspiracy between the booksellers and the book publishers to eke one more shilling from the dead white men - their royalties are so much cheaper. The Counselor

27/5/05 21:59  
Blogger Jess said...

You've fleshed out the conspiracy so much better than I. I'm going with your conspiracy.

31/5/05 07:43  

Post a Comment

<< Home