Tater Tots I Have Known
In response to a comment in the previous blog, I decided to start this list due to my lack of posts and originality lately.
1. There are the golden brown mini-cylinder, slightly cold centered tots from the Riley Elementary cafeteria. They were there on my partitioned styrofoam tray, top right corner, two days every week.
2. There are the individually sliced, pleasantly greasy tots from Burger King, served in a grease spotted bag, not big enough to satisfy your craving for fried salty goodness. Served only during breakfast hours however.
What are some tots that you have known?
1. There are the golden brown mini-cylinder, slightly cold centered tots from the Riley Elementary cafeteria. They were there on my partitioned styrofoam tray, top right corner, two days every week.
2. There are the individually sliced, pleasantly greasy tots from Burger King, served in a grease spotted bag, not big enough to satisfy your craving for fried salty goodness. Served only during breakfast hours however.
What are some tots that you have known?

5 Comments:
Fifty years ago, the Griggs brothers – the founding fathers of Ore-Ida – were looking for new ways to use potatoes in their French fry business. They created bite-sized treats from slivers of potatoes and called them Tater Tots®. A star was born!
And now…Tater Tots® proudly celebrates its Golden Brown 50th Anniversary with new Extra Crispy Tater Tots®, the crispiest, crunchiest Tater Tots ever. Join in the celebration with the entire Tater Tots family – Tater Tots®, Crispers!®, Crispy Crowns!®, Onion Tater Tots®, Mini Tater Tots®. Tater Tots® are often imitated but only Ore-Ida® Tater Tots® are the original. And now, all your Tater Tots® favorites are packaged in our easy open, easy pour bag with the new purple banner.
At Las Juntas Elementary, they were served in a white paper cup on a green plastic tray. If you wanted ketchup (which was a vegetable in my 1980s cafeteria, right?), they ladled it right on top, so you didn't get to dip. The tots were soggy, and it's less fun if you don't get to dip.
When I lived in Santa Cruz, I'd buy the frozen Spud Puppies at New Leaf. Or, at least, I think that's what they were called. They were much crisper than the elementary school ones. Yum. And I got to be in charge of my own ketchup...which is really what being a grown up is all about.
I enjoy the tater tots in Tater Tot Casserole. Wonderful. Fattening as hell and liable to clog your arteries in one sitting, but wonderful.
Tater tot casserole? What goes in it? I mean, besides tater tots.
Are you from the Midwest? I think people in California don't make so many casseroles from as people in the Midwest. Maybe that's why I've never heard of such a thing.
Ah, I am so totally from the Midwest. I don't actually make the casserole myself. The whole thought of it reaking havoc on my arteries makes me weary. My mom does make it on occassion...very rarely. On those rare special occassions, it tastes pretty darned good.
I know that it has tater tots, hamburger, cheese, and, I think, cream of mushroom soup.
Sound healthy, huh? :o)
Post a Comment
<< Home