What's Wrong With Me - Part III
Compliments and me mix like literature does with George W. I just don't know what to do with them.
This got pointed out to me recently by a close friend when she threw a compliment my way.
"You got a cute nose," she said.
I replied, "That's because I haven't broken it yet."
She laughed, then shook her head, saying, "That's such a Matt comment."
It made me wonder if it was really a Matt comment. I started trying to think of recent examples.
My friend Nicole told me that her friend said I was looking cute one day after running into them at the mall. My response was no response. Nicole jabbed at me with her finger and said, "You just got a compliment."
My writing sample (excerpt here) was critiqued by a friend and two editors in a harsh way. People who had read the entire piece enjoyed it, commented on its humour, its pacing. I shrugged them off and said, look what the editors thought of it.
Why can't I take a compliment? I had to force myself to say "Thank you" to avoid anymore finger jabs from Nicole. Why can't I believe people? Or do I subconsciously believe them and feign modesty? If that's the case, I am pretty screwed up. What's wrong with me?
This got pointed out to me recently by a close friend when she threw a compliment my way.
"You got a cute nose," she said.
I replied, "That's because I haven't broken it yet."
She laughed, then shook her head, saying, "That's such a Matt comment."
It made me wonder if it was really a Matt comment. I started trying to think of recent examples.
My friend Nicole told me that her friend said I was looking cute one day after running into them at the mall. My response was no response. Nicole jabbed at me with her finger and said, "You just got a compliment."
My writing sample (excerpt here) was critiqued by a friend and two editors in a harsh way. People who had read the entire piece enjoyed it, commented on its humour, its pacing. I shrugged them off and said, look what the editors thought of it.
Why can't I take a compliment? I had to force myself to say "Thank you" to avoid anymore finger jabs from Nicole. Why can't I believe people? Or do I subconsciously believe them and feign modesty? If that's the case, I am pretty screwed up. What's wrong with me?

5 Comments:
You do have a cute nose... I can't believe I never noticed.
...and you've got such a nice ass, too....
...that's because it hasn't been bent over in a prison shower yet.
And such a way with words...
Nothing is wrong with you. You are a normal, self-deprecating individual. Consider a gift and a curse. :)
Post a Comment
<< Home