Regret
All you need is time, they say.
What if time goes by and the regret still thrives? You have let time pass. You begin new things, meet new people, surround yourself with wonderful family and friends. All this to kill it, to make it okay. But it was never gone in the first place. Just on a light simmer, hidden away.
Just get over it, they say.
What if feelings are your most dominant characteristic? Not logic, nor pragmatism. But raw, vulnerable, pulsing feelings. Your feelings cannot be controlled. You can't convince them, only watch as you sense too much and defend too little.
You have to let go, they say.
What if you haven't? You can't put your finger on what brings you back, on what makes you stay put. But the regret is what keeps you there. You can't let go until there is no regret, which means forgiveness.
How do you forgive yourself?
To do so you probably have to understand your regret.
Can regret kill you?
Can it wear you down?
Whittle you away to nothing?
Quite possibly it will.
What if time goes by and the regret still thrives? You have let time pass. You begin new things, meet new people, surround yourself with wonderful family and friends. All this to kill it, to make it okay. But it was never gone in the first place. Just on a light simmer, hidden away.
Just get over it, they say.
What if feelings are your most dominant characteristic? Not logic, nor pragmatism. But raw, vulnerable, pulsing feelings. Your feelings cannot be controlled. You can't convince them, only watch as you sense too much and defend too little.
You have to let go, they say.
What if you haven't? You can't put your finger on what brings you back, on what makes you stay put. But the regret is what keeps you there. You can't let go until there is no regret, which means forgiveness.
How do you forgive yourself?
To do so you probably have to understand your regret.
Can regret kill you?
Can it wear you down?
Whittle you away to nothing?
Quite possibly it will.

2 Comments:
Is this about Hockey?
So there's this little thing that happens when a person goes through something... anything. It's called experience. I am a firm believer that this "experience" thing is very important in life. I hope I am not beating a dead horse when I say this, but don't you think you learned your lesson about what you regret? Let me guess, you have probably vowed to yourself (and her?) that this would never happen again, right? What if you should be vowing that to someone else?
I am not going to say you should get over anything, it just doesn't work like that. I know this. But, in time you will hopefully be blessed with the ability to see the regret fade away. I think maybe it will never disappear, no, I BELIEVE it will never disappear. You are a kind soul, Matty and think that you will always regret doing something that hurt someone else. But that doesn't mean that you will never move on.
Now, this last part might be a pill. Maybe your mistake was made at a good time. You know what they say: 'It is better to make mistakes during practice.' I know this sounds harsh but how do you learn to be in a relationship without practice. You will grow from this, I know it. In fact, I believe you are already growing. You just can't think things out all the time. Life is not a math problem, but a series of mistakes and successes. Keep doing the things that end up in a success. Stop doing the things that bring on regret.
"If ever a day passes that I don't tell you 'I Love You', know always that I do."
-Unknown Author
Post a Comment
<< Home