Thursday, October 27, 2005

My Mnemonics

For the past few months, I've been studying vocabulary flashcards consistently, so I can hold my own against the diabolical GRE. Of course, I rely on mnemonics to help me remember and recall these words that I have rarely had the chance to use at the Staples Center for a Kings' game.

Many times I associate words with people:

Me - intractable, obdurate, obstinate (I'm stubborn, you see), imperturbable (in traffic), dogmatic, censure
the Counselor - erudite, acumen, hedonism, neologism (was a new word to her), credulous
the Counselor and Me - iconoclasts, flout, adulterate
Mica - inimical, polemical (the latter is the only one that applies to my friend, they both contain his name), contentious (a synonym of polemical)
Christie - impassive (just listen as when she says "Fun!" and "Bummer!" Notice a difference? I didn't think so)
my older brother, Greg - gregarious
actor Ricky Jay - laconic, sardonic, pithy, terse
Friar Tuck - ascetic, austere (describes his room)
Jesus - ubiquitous
Hermes (aka Mercury) - mercurial (uhhhh, take a guess)
the elderly - querulous
Jermain Jackson - germane (because he's always on topic)
con man - inveigle
frat boys - quaff
vampires - desiccate
Don Quixote - quixotic (because he is!)
Evanescence - evanescent (that's what I'd like the band to become)
the African-American girl sitting behind you in the theatre - loquacious
[the husband] - malevolent, prattle, loquacious, garrulous, capricious, fervent, aggrandize (as in the self), bombastic, immutable

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home