Monday, September 19, 2005

Procrastination and Anxiety

So I've done it. I've put it off long enough. I've waited around, sat around, played video games, read numerous hockey articles, read the newspaper, watched movies, went for a walk, read a book, listened to CDs while looking for their lyrics online, cooked, cleaned, dirtied, actually watched network TV, checked my e-mail, went on Myspace, slept in, took a nap, ran errands, and played Minesweeper. I can no longer procrastinate. Of course, me finally posting on my blog is to be added to the above list. I now must get my ass into gear on grad school.

Yesterday afternoon I started making checklists for the schools I want to attend next year. I got through half of them before I couldn't take it anymore. My stomach ached. I nervously bounced my leg up and down. I am stressed. Because I know I have to get this done. I have to face my goals and face failure with it. Grad school is a necessity, I'm telling myself. It sure beats working in public education. Now if I can make the next four months count, where I take a standardized test (GRE) and submit up to 10 applications for school, maybe I'll find time for a new job and figure out my financial aid issues. Last night I had a restless sleep with these things in my mind, my bed the worst place to take my cynical, negative attitudes. But I have to do this. Otherwise the last three years will be all for naught.

Tonight's to-do list:
  • Five more checklists for grad schools.
  • E-mails to three professors requesting letters of rec.
  • Study GRE vocab flashcards.
  • Brush teeth.
  • Try to go to sleep.
  • Masturbate.
  • Study other vocab flashcards.
  • Try to go to sleep again.
I have to get through that list tonight. But do I have to go in that order? Hmmmmm.

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

you should apply to grad school in europe...spain, perhaps? it costs a helluva lot less for the same education...you'd improve you spanish...and of course you would be close enough to me so i can visit you. please think about it. come to europe.

20/9/05 08:44  
Blogger mica said...

You are a perv.

20/9/05 17:46  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You need to multi task.
You can work and go to school.
Most of Grad School is mon your own. You will have very few lectures and classes.
Quit thinking so much and shag your ass.
Sincerely,
Someone who enjoy's a beer with you now and then.

20/9/05 17:56  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Matt,
You need a hobby.
Elisa

22/9/05 08:38  
Blogger mica said...

He's got one:

"Try to go to sleep.
Masturbate.
Study other vocab flashcards."

22/9/05 10:25  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ok so the guy tells the truth and you're all a-titter. Mica - why is Mat a perv? because he uses flashcards?

18/10/05 11:02  

Post a Comment

<< Home