Monday, December 06, 2004

Dude! I'm a Millionaire

I was talking with a friend of mine at a party. We get caught up talking about movies and I mentioned Citizen Kane and how it's taken me forever to see it. Since I'm not terribly original, I figured I could repeat a remark that I had typed on my blog. I mentioned that maybe I should see another Orson Welles classic, Touch of Evil, next. But I've been sort of reluctant to see Charlton Heston play a Mexican.
My friend nodded and said it was a good movie and that he got it on DVD recently, then shook his head and said, "No, you mean Burt Lancaster."
Me, certain of my certainty of a movie I've never seen before, disagreed and said, "Nope, Charlton Heston. I'm positive." A bold move on my part, considering the position I was coming from.
This turned into a bet. "A million dollars." I felt I was transported to the old schoolyard, to the days of double dares and "1-2-3 NOT IT!" I stated my persuasive point: "Nuh uh, it was Charlton Heston." Unconvinced by my argument, he replied with a shake of the head.
This back and forth continued for a few minutes, him assuring me he knew (he has the DVD), and me simply being stubborn. I was sure.
Now let me clarify why I felt I was so right. First, I've seen the poster, and that looks like Charlton Heston to me. Second, I love movies and I love movies about movies, which brings me to Get Shorty, a witty film that pokes fun at Hollywood. In Get Shorty, John Travolta invites Rene Russo out to go see Touch of Evil, which is showing at the theatre near his hotel. He then says in his New York accent, "Go see Charlton Heston play a Mexican." Later on, there's the scene in the theatre, Travolta reciting lines as the Welles' film plays, and we see a young Charlton Heston in jet black hair face the camera, that dark mustache stretching across his gun kissing lips, and he says, beginning with a short vowel sound, "Adios."
I knew I was right. Or at least pretty sure I was.
He called a friend he trusted, and asked which actor was in the film; the friend gave him Burt Lancaster. I called my trusty roommate who also owns the film; he came back with Heston. And I thought, roomie Ryan and I can't both be wrong.
After a while, doubt started entering my mind and I, therefore, began to mentally prepare to donate percentages of my future paychecks to my friend. Then he called his very close friend. His close friend looked it up on IMDB.com. I couldn't believe that my stubborness and arrogance finally paid off for me.

And now I am thinking, what type of payment plan would best suit him and his family?


2 Comments:

Blogger mica said...

I want a DLP TV for Christmas... or Hanukkah, which starts today.

8/12/04 10:51  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Matt...I understand the commitment to an unimportant argument for the sake of winning but your friend bet cold hard cash and he was straight up WRONG! Hold him to it, I say! Oh yeah, and IMDB rocks my socks.
-Vic

26/12/04 01:09  

Post a Comment

<< Home