What's Wrong with Me? - Part I
I'm exhausted once again.
No, it's not because I couldn't sleep. It's because I'm anal.
I started working on a mix CD for a good friend's birthday gift. It was of Medeski Martin and Wood, one of the bands in my top 5. I own 10 CDs by them, so I wanted to pick a song from at least each. The other thing I focused on was that I wanted most of the songs to feature the bassist, Chris Wood (nobody I've heard plays funky upright like him). I also wanted to design an album cover with photos and the back paper for the CD case with the song/time listings.
So I started this around 6pm on Sunday. I have to leave for work by 7 on Monday. I sat down with paper on clipboard and went through each song--writing down those that showed promise and their track numbers, song lengths. I also rated, on a scale of 5, each song I chose, which was silly since I'd never put a 1 or 2 rated song on the mix CD anyway. I also wrote a short description for each song, including tempo, the jazz style, which type of bass was used, and any other special notes (if there were horns, organ, piano, cool intro, cool conclusion).
While this went on, I looked up pictures and images to design the cover and such.
7.5 hours, no coffee, and a trip to Kinko's later, I was finished.
The problem was I couldn't stop. I started a project, and clearly I must awake around 6 to go to work the next day. And no kids like an agitated teacher that they didn't agitate.
Why did I work on this obsessively? Why did I force myself to finish that very evening/morning? I'm sure if my friend knew the time (and at what time) I worked on this, she might take it as a sweet gesture. Unfortunately, around midnight, it felt like I had to finish it for me more than for her. Why was I so obsessed with finishing it? Why am I such an anal perfectionist when it comes to projects (and organizing my CDs, books, DVDs, and drawer of chonis)? What's wrong with me?
No, it's not because I couldn't sleep. It's because I'm anal.
I started working on a mix CD for a good friend's birthday gift. It was of Medeski Martin and Wood, one of the bands in my top 5. I own 10 CDs by them, so I wanted to pick a song from at least each. The other thing I focused on was that I wanted most of the songs to feature the bassist, Chris Wood (nobody I've heard plays funky upright like him). I also wanted to design an album cover with photos and the back paper for the CD case with the song/time listings.
So I started this around 6pm on Sunday. I have to leave for work by 7 on Monday. I sat down with paper on clipboard and went through each song--writing down those that showed promise and their track numbers, song lengths. I also rated, on a scale of 5, each song I chose, which was silly since I'd never put a 1 or 2 rated song on the mix CD anyway. I also wrote a short description for each song, including tempo, the jazz style, which type of bass was used, and any other special notes (if there were horns, organ, piano, cool intro, cool conclusion).
While this went on, I looked up pictures and images to design the cover and such.
7.5 hours, no coffee, and a trip to Kinko's later, I was finished.
The problem was I couldn't stop. I started a project, and clearly I must awake around 6 to go to work the next day. And no kids like an agitated teacher that they didn't agitate.
Why did I work on this obsessively? Why did I force myself to finish that very evening/morning? I'm sure if my friend knew the time (and at what time) I worked on this, she might take it as a sweet gesture. Unfortunately, around midnight, it felt like I had to finish it for me more than for her. Why was I so obsessed with finishing it? Why am I such an anal perfectionist when it comes to projects (and organizing my CDs, books, DVDs, and drawer of chonis)? What's wrong with me?

2 Comments:
Try unclenching your butt cheeks.
By the way... where was my birthday mix CD?
Post a Comment
<< Home