Wednesday, November 10, 2004

Fighting Ignorance: 400A

In response to the printing of the school newspaper's racist editorial, I was enthused to hear that 60-70 Latino students from my high school staged a protest/sit-in on the school's rally stage, all organized by the students themselves. The bell rang and they refused to go to class, continuing their sit-in. Administrators were called in to ask the students to convene in the library and have a discussion. A V.P. of the school, last name Garcia (I wonder why she was selected), facilitated the discussion, producing thoughtful questions and comments for the newspaper's faculty advisor who joined them shortly thereafter. Imagine being in a room to hear these students share their hurt, insulted, negative feelings with the advisor who let this get through.*

I was thrilled--thrilled that the youth, which apparently does not include me anymore, could conduct a peaceful protest and get results, all on their own. They have altered things at the school. School security has been increased. The library got shut down for most of the day to hold the meeting. Counselors and other staff were called into the library. Reps from the Nat'l Conference for Community and Justice showed up to address the raised issues. It's nice to know in a country where protests and voices have been pretty much ignored by those on high for the last 4 years that the right to demonstrate is alive and well...and still effective.



*Unfortunately, the student who actually wrote the article was unable to attend. He was sent home for a few days for "his own protection." Now, if there was a chance to make him see and face the consequences of his printed word, then it would have been today. But he needs to be protected, in his home, by his "white" parents, who probably instilled their closed-minded views in him, where he is protected from all those "savage" minorities. His parents could possibly be saying right now, "See, this is how they are." He still has yet to learn his lesson. Maybe not until he returns and sees all those that are waiting to introduce him to their own personal case of whoop-ass.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I want to be glad that the protest was a peaceful one, but do you think that it would have been peaceful had the student who wrote the article been there? Did you actually hear the voices and see the eyes of those that were hurt as they spoke? Maybe it wasn't as peaceful as you thought... I can hear the kids now (as I know how kids at my school would have reacted in this situation, probably from experience) trying to gain support for their cause from other students: "Fuck them, let's show them they can't do that to us." Not exactly the reaction I would be hoping for. Who is this "them" they refer to? and "us"? I understand that they didn't "start it" but reacting to an act of separation with yet another act of separation doesn't really fix anything. Maybe it adds fuel to the fire. And what about the reasons for all 60 to 70 students protesting. Were they ALL protesting or were some of them trying to get out of a test or a discussion about cause and effect.

I also believe that the school has its hands tied at least a little, the primary place of learning is at home. Sometimes I feel like too many parents are training their kids as secret agents: "No matter what they tell you, Billy, just remember that what we told you is what is right. All that really counts is that you get a scholarship and a degree."

I too am sad that the administration sent the author home to "be protected". When will he learn now? Has he just learned that when he does something wrong that the authorities will work to protect him by removing him from the situation? By all means make sure that no cans-o-whoopass are opened but let him hear the pain and anger in the voices of the people he effected. He might not be getting that lesson at home from his "white" parents and isn't it more important to teach these kids life lessons than to make sure they understand how to impress people with their knowledge of school subjects? We are hiring based on achievements instead of morals and we no longer care what employees do on their off-time, as long as they are not wearing a company shirt while they do it and stay away from those who know where they work.

What a world of individuals!

Matty, I blogged for you. It felt good.

10/11/04 21:00  

Post a Comment

<< Home