Meanest April Fools Joke . . . Ever!
I went by my old place to get my mail, for my roommate informed me I received some important things. Shuffling through the envelopes, I finally came across the heaviest of them all.
Oh, these practical jokers are good.
The envelope had the USC School of Cinema-Television logo in the left hand corner. On the right was a metered postage mark, sixty-three cents worth. The envelope looked legitimate. Even my name and address looked as if it was printed out of a machine, not perfectly centered, and slightly angled up.
After opening it, I thumbed through the papers, scanning them. The main letter was on letterhead, using the proper burgundy font, with Writing Division printed below it. Its appearance screamed "official". I read the first line: "On behalf of the Graduate Admissions Committee of the Division of Writing for Screen and Television, it gives me great pleasure to offer you a position in the Fall 2006 entering class."
I looked at my mobile to check the date: April 1st. I knew then that it was a joke. All the other letters I received included words like "regret to inform you" and "thorough review" and "unable" and "from a pool of thousands of applicants more than previous years." The fact that someone went to such extreme lengths to set me up is uncanny. When I find out who did this, there will be hell to pay indeed.
Of course, if this isn't a joke, fuck the L.A. Kings, I'm creating my own happiness, starting now.
Oh, these practical jokers are good.
The envelope had the USC School of Cinema-Television logo in the left hand corner. On the right was a metered postage mark, sixty-three cents worth. The envelope looked legitimate. Even my name and address looked as if it was printed out of a machine, not perfectly centered, and slightly angled up.
After opening it, I thumbed through the papers, scanning them. The main letter was on letterhead, using the proper burgundy font, with Writing Division printed below it. Its appearance screamed "official". I read the first line: "On behalf of the Graduate Admissions Committee of the Division of Writing for Screen and Television, it gives me great pleasure to offer you a position in the Fall 2006 entering class."
I looked at my mobile to check the date: April 1st. I knew then that it was a joke. All the other letters I received included words like "regret to inform you" and "thorough review" and "unable" and "from a pool of thousands of applicants more than previous years." The fact that someone went to such extreme lengths to set me up is uncanny. When I find out who did this, there will be hell to pay indeed.
Of course, if this isn't a joke, fuck the L.A. Kings, I'm creating my own happiness, starting now.

3 Comments:
Congratulations!
And dude, the only joke I got today was that when I poured my soymilk onto my cereal this morning it was green.
Yay! I'm so happy for you! (Although I agree, poor timing on the mailing around this time of year - they must seriously get people calling asking if it's a joke (either way)). So I guess you are staying in LA for awhile ;)
Thanks to you both, my fellow slugs.
Post a Comment
<< Home