Saturday, February 25, 2006

Face Improvements

I caught a glimpse of an advertisement during my parents' Super Bowl party that made me ponder if what I saw was actually true. It wasn't until I saw an ad a week later that I realized it was. There were signs of this to come.

I mean, when I started shaving (which some would argue was a year ago), the top-of-the-line razor had two blades. When I picked up that razor and dragged it down the side of my face, leaving a thin bare trail outlined by peach fuzz, I wondered if it could feel any smoother. A short while later, I found a light blue aloe strip just above the blade. Moistened up, that strip was making my monthly shave a comfortable experience. So when college hit, I had my preferred tools. My Gillette two-blade razor with aloe strip and Edge face gel (orange topped) was working to take those six whiskers right off. They kept my top lip nice and smooth.

My senior year came along and there was a revolution in the industry. Gillette went out and topped the competition by smacking a third blade on their razor—creating the Mach 3. The TV ad with a man flying around in a CGI jet and background universe was awesome. I could be as manly as Tom Cruise in that jet movie if I used this product. I went out to try it, after all, my whiskers were counting into the double digits by this point. Though the prices jumped up greatly for replacement razors, it was indeed, "the best a [young] man could get."

Shortly after, competitor Schick came up with a silly solution to beat my Mach 3. They invented the Quattro. I thought they were posers, figuring by adding a blade their razor would top mine. Like hell I was going to try it.

I stuck by my Gillette man and he provided. They didn't add a fourth blade; they improved the Mach 3. They made it better. . . the Mach 3 Turbo. Unfortunately, the blades didn't make me shave faster, but the extra comfort was there, thanks to an added dose of Vitamin E to the aloe strip AND soft rubber fins at the bottom, to soften any abrasion. These cool new blades also raised the numbers on their price tags. But Gillette was back on top and without adding a ridiculous extra blade like their silly competitors.

Content with the shaving part of my life, I focused on the gels, finding the purple topped and aqua blue topped ones, more to my liking.

And then I read in a reputable paper, that Gillette was making a move to stay on top. I'm not referring to their battery powered Mach 3 that emits green waves of comfort as the ad shows. I thought to myself that I should've known that Gillette wouldn't be content by sitting back and losing any ground as I read the article. And lo and behold, during the Super Bowl, Gillette's advertisement proved that they did it; they beat Schick by adding two extra blades. Yes, five sharp, cold lines of metal to pull across your cheeks, neck, Adam's apple and around the corners of the mouth. Wonderful. They call it Gillette Fusion.

Leaving the fighter pilot behind, they've adopted a space age laboratory that lies in a desert. The new razor's website features a woman who is glad I returned to find out more. Her white lab coat shows me she knows what she's doing. Her red dress that matches her lipstick shows me what she'd like to do to me if I bought this product.

Maybe I'm getting older, but this razor thing is getting ridiculous. Now that I'm shaving every other day, will I try the new Fusion razor? Probably not. I'm saving up for something else.

I await the day that Bic rushes back to the forefront of this industry, patenting their own single blade razor, wide enough to put the Fusion to shame, allowing me to finish shaving in four swift swipes.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home