Sunday, March 20, 2005

When Rumours Visit

I am not a fan of high school. I just don't care to know many people from that era.
As many went away to college to start knew lives like myself, there were those who stayed behind in the Long Beach area; drama and the search for gossip is what these few survived on.
These stories seemed to spread out from Long Beach, sharing the exploits of friends after high school. Example: A former crush of mine was dared to kiss a female friend in a pool. By the time the story got to me, this fomer crush was a full-fledged lesbian.
Another example: A former friend of mine, book smart/life dumb, gets knocked up by her boyfriend Clayne. Clayne, equipped with interesting onomatopoeic name, was older, not part of the high school crowd and not a terribly friendly fellow. He moved to the Long Beach area from Alaska. My former friend told me he was convicted for illegal possession of marijuana. The way the story exists today, my former friend was knocked up by a fugitive from Alaska, wanted for murdering a drug dealer.
My first rumour that ever got back to me was more of a blending of stories. Background first, I had sex with a girl when I was a senior. This was kept a secret for more than a year. Years before, she was the "first love" of my former best friend, Jesse. Second, I was sexually involved with another girl, Kiyana, who later happened to become my former girlfriend. Third, I drove my car while my former good friend held onto the door handle, skateboarding down the street. He took a spill, busted his tooth, ended up in the emergency room. I didn't go with him. I was supposed to be going home because of my parents' implied curfew. I took an alternate route home, swinging by Kiyana's place to say "Hi" and get some kisses. From there I called and checked up on my bloodied former friend.
All these stories went around at the same time. By the time they got back to me, I apparently had an eventful evening.
First, I broke my friend's tooth. I didn't go with him to the emergency room. Instead, I went to Jesse's "first love's" place to have sex with her. Since she could not satisfy my lustful appetite, I went to Kiyana's house. As far as everyone learned, I was an absolute whore...not to mention a shitty friend.

I just hung out with Nate, a co-worker, on Friday--a friend (although not a close one) from middle school, high school, and college--who happens to still have more than two friends from the high school circle. He filled me in on where people were, what they were up to, etc. After a couple beers, he shared with me a rumour he heard.
There isn't much background source for this one. But here's the rumour: I'm gay.
I had to laugh, for I've never considered myself well-dressed.
This news spread as far as an embezzelment inmate in San Quentin. Even my former school counselor, known for her Gaydar, asked Nate if this was true.
Nate and I continued talking, me sharing the truth to some of the aformentioned rumours of fellow almuni. We talked about how our high school reunion is only a year off. I thought of how I'm only good friends with one person from those years, how there are friendships I wouldn't attempt to rekindle, people I just don't need to know. Five years ago I said I didn't want to attend a reunion. Friday night I told Nate, I had no urge to. Not unless I find a truly sweet, down-to-earth guy with a stud collar.

16 Comments:

Blogger matty said...

now that i've given him more ammo, i await Mica's comment. . .

20/3/05 16:43  
Blogger mica said...

I have no idea what you mean.

20/3/05 21:40  
Blogger Elizabeth said...

I read that your reunion is only a year off, and I thought, "That can't be right. Matt and I are the same age and mine isn't until...oh." And then, for a minute, I felt old.

During my first year at college, my sister would dutifully report back to me the rumors that were going around about me. (Aren't angry ex-boyfriends great?) My first thought when I found out that it was happening was that that I wasn't either popular or unpopular enough to be worth spreading gossiping about.

I think you should take Mica to the reunion. He'd look hot in that collar.

21/3/05 03:18  
Blogger matty said...

if people really don't care about you, you'd think you wouldn't even be a topic of conversation?
it's like some 90s ska band taking time out of their show or interview to insult you.

in a way, i look at it like you seemed important enough to be a topic of interest. something to break up the mundane from their own lives...something to make you feel glad that you are no longer connected to those lives.

21/3/05 11:22  
Blogger Jess said...

I suppose I'm not quite cool enough to have the rumor mill spin round about me. However, I have heard a few amazing tales of former high school classmates through the grapevine that still exists.

You'd think after seven years, they'd move on. But no. Some people never do.

21/3/05 12:18  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I didn't go to my high school reunion. I consider myself pretty successful compared to those people I happen to run into at the grocery store when I visit my parents. After all I did marry a doctor.
But I just don't feel the need to talk to a bunch of people I didn't like in high school about their mundane lives. Although if Matt went to my high school I may have gone just to see the dog collar.

21/3/05 13:10  
Blogger Elizabeth said...

Okay, so that comment about being successful because one's spouse is a doctor? Irritates me.

21/3/05 14:47  
Blogger mica said...

Liz... you are getting far too irritable in your old age.

I think it was a joke because the doctor just happens to be Matt's brother.

21/3/05 15:40  
Blogger Elizabeth said...

You're probably right, Mica. Or maybe I'm just losing my sense of humor: I read that sentence over and over, trying to decide if it was a joke.

21/3/05 16:09  
Blogger mica said...

Remember when you used to be funny???

Me neither.

21/3/05 17:59  
Blogger mica said...

Psyyyyyyyyyyyyych!

21/3/05 22:41  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Psych? From Mica? Huh.
Ok - I hated the two high schools I went to, and the feeling was mutual. I have one friend from those days and I neither know nor desire to know what people from back then think of me now or thought of me then. Isn't it a sign of some kind of patheticness to even talk about the great times you had in high school? Doesn't everyone of interesting character hate high school? Or am I biased?

And I really don't see how anyone could think Matty's gay - he's so hot (maybe you should wear the collar yourself?)!
The Counselor

22/3/05 18:27  
Blogger mica said...

Maybe it's because he gives such a mean blowjob... er -- so I've heard.

22/3/05 22:40  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

If everyone would like to take a quick ride on the Stereotype Express, please look to your left as you can see that the "Matt is gay" rumor is crazy. I happen to know what clothing Matt wore in high school. Not gay. Not even metrosexual. Products? None. Good at dancing? No. In short, not gay. The rumor though? Amusing as all hell.

I do believe I have a dog collar that's collecting dust, if you'd like to use it for the reunion. There's no way in hell I'm going. Be sure to take pictures. My vote is to get that one guy, um...remember, the horribly homophobic guy we all swore was gay...get him to wear the collar. People would pay good money to see that.

23/3/05 16:57  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey, Matty. If you were gay, I would date you. Why does everyone think it is so "preposterous" to think you are gay? Let's see: good looking, into the arts, smart, and I hear you even give good blowjobs. Huh? not so surprising to me.

25/3/05 11:52  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I can speak as a female who has been on the receiving end of Matt's sexuality, he's not gay. He is one of the most healthy heteros I've "known".

5/4/05 00:09  

Post a Comment

<< Home